Is my house in full pumpkin mode all through autumn? Yup, it sure is. Not only do I love decorating with them but it’s a full pumpkin-fest of cooking as well. I love it both sweet and savory and there’s no end to my desire for a loaf of pumpkin bread as a snack.
I’ve already baked my annual chocolate chip pumpkin bread and have also combined those same flavors with banana. But in no way was I done experimenting with recipes.
Most pumpkin breads are not frosted but why not? No reason I could think of. The type of frosting was an easy choice. Pumpkin goes so well with cream cheese that a cream cheese frosting made the most sense. Weirdly I find those kind of one-note, though, so I wanted to jazz it up. Salted caramel cream cheese frosting? OMG, yes!
I was slightly concerned that the combination of caramel and frosting would be too sweet but this actually struck a good balance of sweet to salty. The recipe makes a generous amount and you’re going to want that generous amount because it’s so good. I left the actual loaf simple, moist and plain so that the star is the frosting. So good. Really. Enjoy!
Author: Anita Schecter
Pumpkin Loaf with Salted Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
Prep time: 20 MinCook time: 55 MinTotal time: 1 H & 15 M
Recipe for a fluffy, flavorful pumpkin loaf cake topped with salted caramel cream cheese frosting.
For the Loaf Cake:
- 1 Stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 Cup light brown sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the Salted Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz. Cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoons caramel sauce
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 3 1/4 – 3 1/2 Cups powdered sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray or butter and line with parchment paper.
- Add the unsalted butter, granulated sugar and light brown sugar to a bowl and cream together using a hand or stand mixer. Beat in the eggs one at a time followed by the vanilla and the unsweetened pumpkin puree.
- Combine the all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground ginger and ground nutmeg in a separate bowl. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet but don’t overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, cream together the softened cream cheese, softened butter, powdered sugar, caramel sauce and salt until completely smooth. Frost the cooled pumpkin loaf and serve.
#Pumpkin #Loaf #Salted #Caramel #Cream #Cheese #Frosting