I take issue with most cupcake sizing. Yes, mini cupcakes or even regular small ones are much better for me but they are not satisfying. They don’t feel like a whole dessert but I don’t want to take a second one. If I’m going to indulge, I want a large cupcake! And so that’s what I made.
In theory, cupcakes should be right up my alley because they’re already portioned and they’re meant for only one person. I don’t want to share my cupcake. Who is with me on this? I mean, I love you but please get your own cupcake. But the aforementioned small store sizing was a problem. Enter these jumbo chocolate cupcakes which certainly convey the message that I love you enough to make these for you.
I also take issue with unfilled cupcakes. Who knew I had so many cupcake issues. But if I’m going to eat a frosted dessert, I want that frosting everywhere? If you eat a slice of frosted cake, don’t you also want the frosting in each layer? Of course you do.
So I filled these chocolate cupcakes and also gave them a generous swirl of frosting on top. This is a correct frosting to cupcake ratio. And even though cream cheese frosting is great on its own, the addition of a little strawberry jam gives it a nice tart balance and is a great combo with the chocolate. You can add some Valentine’s sprinkles to turn these into love cupcakes or just go with everyday delicious chocolate and strawberry. Enjoy!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
Prep time: 25 MinCook time: 35 MinTotal time: 1 Hour
Recipe for tender chocolate cupcakes, filled and frosted with a strawberry cream cheese frosting.
For the Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 1 Stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 Cup hot water
- 1 Teaspoon instant coffee
- 1/2 Cup full fat Greek yogurt
- 6 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
For the Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz. Cream cheese
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 Cups powdered sugar
- 1 Drop of red food color, or more
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the unsalted butter and granulated sugar, using a stand or hand mixer, for a few minutes.
- Beat in the egg, Greek yogurt and vanilla.
- Dissolve the teaspoon of instant coffee in the cup of hot water and mix into the batter.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet batter and mix just until combined.
- Line a muffin tin with 8 jumbo muffin cups. Fill each with 2 oz. of batter (about 3/4 full). I used a 2 oz. ice cream scoop and got exactly 8 jumbo muffins.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick, inserted in the center, comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the strawberry cream cheese frosting, add the butter, cream cheese, salt, powdered sugar and strawberry jam to a bowl and beat until fully combined. You can do this by hand or with a stand or hand mixer. Add a drop of red food coloring and mix in. You can omit it for a lighter pink color or add a second drop for a deeper red color.
- Fit a piping bag with a large tip (I recommend the Wilton 1M) and fill with the cream cheese frosting. Insert the tip into each cupcake and squeeze in a little filling. Be careful not to overfill or the cupcake may break apart. Then top each cupcake with a swirl of the frosting. Add some Valentine’s sprinkles and a strawberry on top if desired.
#Chocolate #Cupcakes #Strawberry #Cream #Cheese #Frosting